Friday, May 14, 2010

Cupcake Frosting Secrets Revealed

It really is no big secret, but lots of you always want to know what kind of frosting I use for my
cupcakes. 
Well here it is! 
It is a Buttercream Frosting and I will try to share some of my tips for making it creamy and cupcake piping perfect.


The Recipe:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
Makes: 3 cups of icing.

Instructions:
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. 

For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerate in airtight container, this icing can be stored for 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

My Tips:
1. I always get the butter or margarine (I have used both) out of the fridge ahead of time. 
2. Slice butter into the bowl. Mix butter and shortening really well. Do not underestimate the importance of the creaming step in any recipe.
3. I add my two tablespoons of milk while adding the powdered sugar.
4. I usually at least double this recipe. When doubling I think I add 5-6 tablespoons of milk total. You want the frosting to be creamy in texture and easy to pipe, but stiff enough to hold shape and not move off the cupcake.
5. The more you whip the frosting the more air you add to it and the creamier and fluffier it will be.
6. One batch of this icing will do one dozen cupcakes that are frosted like the below picture.
7. If you want my chocolate cake recipe or chocolate frosting recipe you really are out of luck. That is one I am going to keep a secret. Lets just say that recipe is so old it measures butter by the size of a large egg, and has egg in the frosting.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. Happy Frosting!

7 comments:

  1. Jill, Miss Tiffany (above)was telling me not only are these amazing to look at but yummy too! I am a dental rep and looking to pass out some yummy treats to the girls in my offices before I go on maternity leave. I was wondering if I could hire you. my email is m_bingham@msn.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't believe this, but I just checked my recipe and is EXACTLY the same as yours. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I always use butter rather than margarine, but you said you've had good results with both right? Maybe I'm not whipping it long enough? How long are you whipping? More than 5 minutes? I'll have to try it again soon and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke: That is so funny. Ya, it is not an uncommon recipe. I have just made it so many times and know how I like it. I really am not whipping it that long. What are you using to mix it? If you can't get it to work come over and we can make it together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just wondering if it was possible to make without shortening?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Barnharts:

    There are butter cream frosting that only use butter, but they are just not the same. The shortening is what gives it that shinny creamy consistency and allows the frosting to hold better since shortening melts at a higher temperature than butter. Does that make sense? If shortening grosses you out just make the frosting, taste it, forget about the shortening and enjoy the creamy goodness. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. am an amateur in this subject, and your recipe and tips really helped me, thanks

    By the way, greeting from Chile in South America

    ReplyDelete